Monday, December 3, 2012

Aussie Christmas Challenge 2/12 - 6 White Boomers

I have a confession to make... I have no idea what "6 White Boomers" is. I think that's supposed to make me un-Australian. But I asked around my friends and none of them have any idea what it is either. So maybe we're just in the wrong generation, or it's not very well-known by people who grew up in the city, or something. 6 White Boomers is an Christmas song by Rolf Harris about how Santa uses white kangaroos to pull his sleigh instead of reindeer for the Australian leg of his trip.

If I was any good at nail art or stamping I would try and do a kangaroo on my nails, but I'm not, so I decided to go for something a bit more abstract. I did undies to represent a night sky, and then taped off white stripes for the white kangaroos. The night sky was created with two coats of Ulta3 Midnight, a midnight-blue crelly. I used one coat of a Japanese polish I picked up for $2.80 from Daiso, Winmax Delicia 192, a sheer grey with a dusting of tiny holo and iridescent glitter, to mimic the look of stars. It was the best I could do without having Essie Starry Starry Night!



Actually now that I listen to the lyrics again it says that they're riding through the blazing sun... But whatever :p

6 comments:

  1. Bahaha this made me laugh. I'm surprised at how many people don't know the song. Maybe you had to have parents who bought lame Christmas CDs lol. And I love your simple representation of it, I was skipping this one haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is literally the first time I've ever heard of it! But my parents are Chinese and English so probably weren't very into the whole Aussie Christmas thing anyway :p I can't wait to see other people's interpretations!

      Delete
  2. Ha ha ha, I was going to ask if I could join in on this Aussie Xmas challenge but I didn't know what the 6 white boomers were and I couldn't think of anything to do for that day, so I didn't ask lol! But in my defense, I am a kiwi and grew up in NZ, but been living in Australia a looooooong time, so I feel like I should know lol. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely join! The other themes are a lot easier haha.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...